Canada Camp Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leader/LIT expectations-Ness Lake

Go down

Leader/LIT expectations-Ness Lake Empty Leader/LIT expectations-Ness Lake

Post by Hortons Heroes Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:59 am

Seminar: Leader/LIT Expectations

Job Description
- What you do
o NLBC - “To Glorify God by Making Jesus Christ Known by Word and Deed through Camping and Conference Programs”
o You’re job is to be influenced by Christ, and from that influence, influence kids for Christ. You are the hands and feet that get his done. We are the arms, knees, and elbows that help you get this done. We are support staff for a reason. It is you’re job to Love kids. Unless it is your hour off, you should be with your kids!
o Five ways
 Evangelism
 Worship
 Servanthood
 Discipleship
 Teaching
 Stewardship
o Camp is for the Camper. If you ever ask yourself, what should I do, the answer is how I can best show God’s love to my campers
- Who you answer to
o You answer to the head leaders – Rebecca and ??. Things that can be brought to us are campers, questions, disipline questions, Bible questions, life questions. We’re here for you, so you can love kids better. If that means getting stuff off your chest, simply playing basketball, or whatever. If you’re feeling lonely – come talk to us!
o We are you’re first line go-to person. If we can’t handle things, we’ll go with you to Paul.
o If you have problems with me, please talk to us or Paul Bailey, not other people! Conflict will probably happen. The right way to deal with it is go to the person, or their superior. We do most things for a reason, but don’t always explain the reason. Come talk if you want to know. However, please respect decisions and uphold them, even if you don’t entirely agree with them. Use body principle – my skin doesn’t like taking a sliver out, but my mind knows that if I don’t, it will hurt more in the long run.
- Who answers to you
o Campers answer to you. You are responsible for the campers allotted to you at a specific time. Whether meals, skills, or cabins, you are responsible for your campers. If your campers are running around, it is your fault, not necessarily theirs. Also, work as a team. If you see a camper from another cabin breaking rules, deal with it. Ask who their counselor is, but deal with it. Chapel is a good example – if a row is misbehaving in front of you, tap them on the shoulder and direct them.
o To campers, LIT’s and Leaders are the same. Make sure you are on the same page.
Leader/Lit Relationships
o – Leaders should be more mature when it comes to answering God questions and dealing with discipline. Leaders should take a bigger load. This does not mean that LIT’s have a free ride. Take direction from your leaders and work as a team. LIT’s should not be given all the jobs such as cleaning wet bunks and such.
-
o Leaders – take time to explain why you do things to the LIT
o LIT’s – ask the leader questions. I missed the opportunity to be an LIT. Tell story about Cam. Take advantage!
o Pray together, talk about campers – struggles, joys, - Share the load of 10 campers. Some will relate better to one counselor than the other. Communicate about who has had one on one time, and who still needs it.
o WE will pair you guys up for a few weeks at a time in order to ensure continuity in the cabin. If you have suggestions, let us know.
o In a week or so , I’ll pass out paper, get suggestions- be thinking about who you would work well with, learn from etc.

Recap

Community Standards
- Visitors – 24 hour advance. Meals cost a suggested donation of $5. Visitors must sign in at the office.
- Phoning – use the payphone.
- Email – “Restricted access”
- Staff Washrooms – you have a cubby hole.
o 2 community towels, otherwise hang it in your locker or take it to your room
o 1 community shampoo – others should be outside of the shower
o Lockers – feel free. We’ll need to share, and these can’t be guaranteed to be safe unless locked. Leave valuables at home!
- Clothing/Appearance – Tidy, well groomed.
• Girls – no spaghetti straps, bikini’s, cover up a bathing suit when away from the beach
• Be modest – shirts should be worn except at beach,
- Piercings –We need to respect more than our generation here at camp. There may be problems if kids go home to their parents saying they want a piercing like their counselor. You are allowed earrings – not gender specific. If that is a big problem, there is room for tastefulness. However, we ask that rings for leaders and LIT’s be kept tasteful earrings.
- Music – You may have a stereo in your cabin, but it does not need to be going at all times. It is a privilege for campers to listen to music. Music by non – Christian’s is not allowed as we want to provide an environment that is Christ centred. Heavy metal (Living Sacrifice, Zao and punk music) are offensive to some. These will not at be played at camp.
o Also, music should be used for older campers and teens, not junior campers
- Vehicles – Please drive with a maximum of 20km. Dust, safety.
 You will need to hand in your keys to Hillary at the office prior to each week. Selected staff can drive vehicles. Do not ride in the back of the trucks.
- Social Relationships
o We want you guys to get to know each other and be a tight staff. However, this is a byproduct of camp, not one of the main goals. THe main goals are to love you’re campers with Christ’s love. Counselor huddles, hanging out when you should be with your campers, and staying up late outside of the cabin ……do not reach the goal of loving campers. Most of the friendship building happens on weekends, your hour off, and rubbing shoulders with staff in skills and meals. Ness doesn’t have a lot of downtime like some camps. This works for Ness and it needs to work for you.
o ******however, community building each other up, praying with each other important to stay fresh and exctited and energized for what your doing out here so we understand……but examine your motives….remember why you’re out here……
o Girlfriend/boyfriends – Now, basically we screen staff so that the highest quality are here. This is why camp is full of quality people of the opposite sex. “It is not good for man to alone.” However, we ask that dating relationships are not pursued at camp. This proves to be distraction most of the time…look at Jodi, fade off. At the same time, be open with Jodi and I about things. Relationships are not bad in due time. Keep us informed about thoughts and feelings that come up and how they can be worked out.
- Camp Property – respect it. Be good stewards of camp property – no graffiti
-
- Kitchen – be on time, respect Krisha, keep your kids under control, don’t allow yelling, get your kids to help with clean up.
o At staff training, we’ll be in cleanup groups starting today. Until then, volunteer!
o No hats, wet bathing suits, must wear shirts and shoes, do not drag the chairs
o Don’t leave a mess – get a camper to clean up their own mess, not work crew

Service Week – week off, everyone gets one. If you need time off in the summer for a wedding or such let me know ASAP./Exams

Exams- you need to sign in and out at the office

Time off
- One hour off a day – use it wisely. Shouldn’t be with campers. Jim Badke talks about having focused time with your campers, and focused time away from your campers. This time should be focused away from your campers, while most of the rest of the day should be focused time with your campers.
- Day off – May leave after follow-up and clean up is done. You need to be back on the property by 1:30
- If you are not from out of town and you want to stay for the weekend- you need to let????? know
- Food on Left side of fridge- notice from Krisha on the whiteboard outside of what is available
- Back at camp for 1:30 pm
- Church – People go into town for church. If you’re from out of town, catch a ride. I suggest Lakes Community Church – close, saves an hour on your day off. Church is mandatory – it involves other believers in the ministry so they can see you, keeps you fed from outside the camp bubble.

-
Miscellaneous Things
- Watch the grass
- Watches are mandatory
- Don’t drink juice, drink water
- Staff camp
- No Internet at Camp- On your day off find someone to go home with

Discipline for Staff
- Take head leaders authority. We have been given the task to direct and discipline by Paul Bailey. Discipline is part of love and will probably happen over the summer. Discipline will go in this order:
1. Talk with Head leaders
2. Talk with Paul and head leaders
3. Could mean being taken from a cabin, having a work detail, or being sent home.

These expectations are highlighted in your camp manual which needs to be read by everyone.
Also, the camp counselor book needs to be read. We will have a test on it after family camp week. The important chapters are 1-7, 11, 13-15. Glance at the Resource section. This book is great resource. If you are done, please return it. If you need one, come see us.

Rise to the occasion! Serving God requires excellence. As Paul was saying yesterday, we have an

hope and desire to empower you to love kids. Keep us informed!*********
Hortons Heroes
Hortons Heroes

Number of posts : 130
Organization Name : Ness Lake Bible Camp
Postion : Program Director
Name : Dave Horton
Registration date : 2007-12-20

http://nlbc.bc.ca/

Back to top Go down